Remember God and Stay Humble: Deuteronomy 8

Do you remember when you learned to: eat, walk, ride a bike, blow bubble gum, whistle? Who helped you that first time you struggled to make the swing go while pumping your short legs? Once we learn these fairly simple tasks, we quickly move on to how high and how fast we can go. We are so impressed with our own skills, we often forget our humble beginnings. This is the core of Deuteronomy 8 We continue with Moses' last words to Israel in his speech before the enter the promised land with Joshua as their new leader. In chapter 8 he specifically tell them that as they come into the land to remember all that God is done for them: don't get proud once you conquer the land thinking that you did all this on your own.

Dig Deeper:

Here are some things in Deuteronomy 8 that helps you know God and his message better: These are lessons we find in Deuteronomy 8 that we can apply today.


Don't forget what God has done for you

  • Deuteronomy 8:11 11 Be careful that you do not forget the Lord your God, ...
  • Psalm 103:2Bless the LORD, O my soul, and forget not all his benefits, ... Praise the LORD, my soul, and never forget all the good he has done:

God teaches us to Rely on Him

  •  Deuteronomy 8:3He humbled you, causing you to hunger and then feeding you with manna, which neither you nor your ancestors had known, to teach you that man does not live on bread alone but on every word that comes from the mouth of the Lord.
  • Psalm 86:11 Teach me your way, LORD, that I may rely on your faithfulness; give me an undivided heart, that I may fear your name.
  • John 15:4-5Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit by itself, unless it abides in the vine, neither can you, unless you abide in me. I am the vine; you are the branches. Whoever abides in me and I in him, he it is that bears much fruit, for apart from me you can do nothing.


God Disciplines us because we are His children


  • Deuteronomy 8:5Know then in your heart that as a man disciplines his son, so the Lord your God disciplines you.
  • Hebrews 12:6 For the LORD disciplines those he loves, and he punishes each one he accepts as his child."
  • Job 5:17-18  "Blessed is the man whom God corrects; so do not despise the discipline of the Almighty. For he wounds, but he also binds up; he injures, but his hands also heal."
  • 1 Cor 11:32   But when God does judge us, he disciplines us as his own sons, that we may not be involved in the general condemnation of the world.
  • Prov 20:30  Blows and wounds cleanse away evil, and beatings purge the innermost being.
  • Rev 3:19  [Jesus] "Those whom I love I rebuke and discipline. So be earnest, and repent."
  • Rom 11:22  Do not forget that God can be severe as well as kind...
  • Heb 10:31 It is a dreadful thing to fall into the hands of the living God.
 

Read The Chapter:

https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=deuteronomy+8&version=NIV
 

Comments

Popular Posts