Time to Clean House: Deuteronomy 13

My car is a problem. I have the kind of job that requires me to do a lot of driving. If I am in a hurry, which is a lot, I might put things (garbage, or papers) on the backseat to deal with later, keeping the front seats nice and tidy. After a few weeks I often find a build up of coffee cups, water bottles, gum and mint wrappers, mail and printed emails piled and threatening to take over my car. I then purge my car of the wreckage and start over. There are of course solutions to this problem, a garbage sack for instance. I've been planning to get one of those for 15 years.
In chapter 13 of Deuteronomy Moses tells the Israelites "It's time to clean house!" In chapter 13 verse 3 He says " The Lord your God is testing you to find out whether you love him with all your hear and with all your soul". You must not tolerate people in your life that will draw you away from Him. Rid your life of these influences! He tells them that they are not to allow one spec of idolatry, or evil practice in their friends, family or cities. There is a zero tolerance policy, for anything that would pull their attention away from following the "The Lord Your God, who brought you out of Egypt and redeemed you from slavery (verse 5)

In 1 Corinthians 5:8-13 Paul gives a very similar charge to the church in Corinth,
So let us feast upon him and grow strong in the Christian life, leaving entirely behind us the cancerous old life with all its hatreds and wickedness. Let us feast instead upon the pure bread of honor and sincerity and truth.
When I wrote to you before I said not to mix with evil people. 10 But when I said that I wasn’t talking about unbelievers who live in sexual sin or are greedy cheats and thieves and idol worshipers. For you can’t live in this world without being with people like that. 11 What I meant was that you are not to keep company with anyone who claims to be a brother Christian but indulges in sexual sins, or is greedy, or is a swindler, or worships idols, or is a drunkard, or abusive. Don’t even eat lunch with such a person.
12 It isn’t our job to judge outsiders. But it certainly is our job to judge and deal strongly with those who are members of the church and who are sinning in these ways. 13 God alone is the Judge of those on the outside. But you yourselves must deal with this man and put him out of your church.

God hasn't changed His position. However never forget that God also loves the sinner and "HE" will draw men back to himself. We can act strongly in love. That is what we are called to do. Our motive is to keep others in the body from being corrupted by tolerating this behavior and to allow God to deal with the hearts of those who have turned from following Him by disassociation.

DIG DEEPER:

Read Deuteronomy 13.









Comments

Popular Posts