Why did I do that? Genesis 12

Why did I do that?
 
I stand there feeling the heat rise in my face. I am sure everyone around me can see how embarrassed I am. I try to cover up the rude comment that I spewed but it's to late. The damage is done.
We make decisions all day long; some good and some terrible. Would it surprise you to know that many of those, seemingly random choices aren't random at all? Fear is a cruel taskmaster. Fear causes us to tell lies, hide facts, drive a little slower when we see certain cars in our review mirror, and avoid people. Our fears are not the same, but they are all just as real. Most people would rather not be face to face with anger, disappointment, a ticket, ridicule or spiders. We get red in the face, stumble on our words and look for a quick escape!
Think about the following scenarios:
It's time; you have to get on stage in 2 minutes. You know your speech, you have practiced it a million times in the mirror, but still your heart is pounding, your hands are sweating and you voice is cracking.


Your boss call you into his office, you know that look, but your not sure what caused it. You search your head trying to figure out what formed the disapproving eyes staring you down as you enter the room.


As you pull into the driveway a little late, due to the speeding ticket  that loudly hiding in your purse. How will you make ends meet? Finances are already tight. You try to think of a way to not have to say anything, but you know you have to face it. Your stomach is in knots as you walk toward the door....


It's a fact, the emotions that comes with fear aren't always predictable. When your brain perceives a threat that your eyes, ears, nose or body have sensed it whirls into action. Your mind literally has a mind of it's own. Decision making go on the fritz, as adrenaline flows through your veins. Your brain tells your muscles to get away from or prepare to face the threat.
The brains threat center, the amygdala, is always looking out for danger. Once the alarm is sounded it kicks into high gear. God designed us to be this way for our protection, however  override switch that we can call on. He also gave us the Holy Spirit.  A spirit of boldness, peace, faith and truth is always at our disposal!


It takes practice to learn to flip that switch and go from fear to faith.
Abraham, being human, faces all these same issues. When faced with the fear of death because of Sarah's beauty he lied, not once but twice, putting Sarah in great danger. He allowed fear to cause him to run away instead of trusting God. We will see in his life, he gets a lot of practice as he learns to trust God.


 

Genesis 12:10-20

New International Version (NIV)

Abram in Egypt

10 Now there was a famine in the land, and Abram went down to Egypt to live there for a while because the famine was severe. 11 As he was about to enter Egypt, he said to his wife Sarai, “I know what a beautiful woman you are. 12 When the Egyptians see you, they will say, ‘This is his wife.’ Then they will kill me but will let you live. 13 Say you are my sister, so that I will be treated well for your sake and my life will be spared because of you.”
14 When Abram came to Egypt, the Egyptians saw that Sarai was a very beautiful woman. 15 And when Pharaoh’s officials saw her, they praised her to Pharaoh, and she was taken into his palace. 16 He treated Abram well for her sake, and Abram acquired sheep and cattle, male and female donkeys, male and female servants, and camels.
17 But the Lord inflicted serious diseases on Pharaoh and his household because of Abram’s wife Sarai. 18 So Pharaoh summoned Abram. “What have you done to me?” he said. “Why didn’t you tell me she was your wife?19 Why did you say, ‘She is my sister,’ so that I took her to be my wife? Now then, here is your wife. Take her and go!” 20 Then Pharaoh gave orders about Abram to his men, and they sent him on his way, with his wife and everything he had.



Genesis 20:1-8

New International Version (NIV)

Abraham and Abimelek

20 Now Abraham moved on from there into the region of the Negev and lived between Kadesh and Shur. For a while he stayed in Gerar, and there Abraham said of his wife Sarah, “She is my sister.” Then Abimelek king of Gerar sent for Sarah and took her.
But God came to Abimelek in a dream one night and said to him, “You are as good as dead because of the woman you have taken; she is a married woman.”
Now Abimelek had not gone near her, so he said, “Lord, will you destroy an innocent nation? Did he not say to me, ‘She is my sister,’ and didn’t she also say, ‘He is my brother’? I have done this with a clear conscienceand clean hands.
Then God said to him in the dream, “Yes, I know you did this with a clear conscience, and so I have kept you from sinning against me. That is why I did not let you touch her. Now return the man’s wife, for he is a prophet, and he will pray for you and you will live. But if you do not return her, you may be sure that you and all who belong to you will die.”
Early the next morning Abimelek summoned all his officials, and when he told them all that had happened, they were very much afraid.



Isaiah 41:13

New International Version (NIV)
13 For I am the Lord your God
    who takes hold of your right hand
and says to you, Do not fear;
    I will help you.

1 Peter 3:13-14

New International Version (NIV)
13 Who is going to harm you if you are eager to do good? 14 But even if you should suffer for what is right, you are blessed. “Do not fear their threats[a]; do not be frightened.”[b]

2 Timothy 1:7
7 For the Spirit God gave us does not make us timid, but gives us power, love and self-discipline.

Exodus 14:13
New International Version (NIV)
13 Moses answered the people, “Do not be afraid. Stand firm and you will see the deliverance the Lord will bring you today. The Egyptians you see today you will never see again.

Psalm 121

A song of ascents.

I lift up my eyes to the mountains—
    where does my help come from?
My help comes from the Lord,
    the Maker of heaven and earth.
He will not let your foot slip—
    he who watches over you will not slumber;
indeed, he who watches over Israel
    will neither slumber nor sleep.
The Lord watches over you—
    the Lord is your shade at your right hand;
the sun will not harm you by day,
    nor the moon by night.
The Lord will keep you from all harm
    he will watch over your life;
the Lord will watch over your coming and going
    both now and forevermore.

Psalm 139

For the director of music. Of David. A psalm.

You have searched me, Lord,
    and you know me.
You know when I sit and when I rise;
    you perceive my thoughts from afar.
You discern my going out and my lying down;
    you are familiar with all my ways.
Before a word is on my tongue
    you, Lord, know it completely.
You hem me in behind and before,
    and you lay your hand upon me.
Such knowledge is too wonderful for me,
    too lofty for me to attain.
Where can I go from your Spirit?
    Where can I flee from your presence?
If I go up to the heavens, you are there;
    if I make my bed in the depths, you are there.
If I rise on the wings of the dawn,
    if I settle on the far side of the sea,
10 even there your hand will guide me,
    your right hand will hold me fast.
11 If I say, “Surely the darkness will hide me
    and the light become night around me,”
12 even the darkness will not be dark to you;
    the night will shine like the day,
    for darkness is as light to you.
13 For you created my inmost being;
    you knit me together in my mother’s womb.
14 I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made;
    your works are wonderful,
    I know that full well.
15 My frame was not hidden from you
    when I was made in the secret place,
    when I was woven together in the depths of the earth.
16 Your eyes saw my unformed body;
    all the days ordained for me were written in your book
    before one of them came to be.
17 How precious to me are your thoughts,[a] God!
    How vast is the sum of them!
18 Were I to count them,
    they would outnumber the grains of sand
    when I awake, I am still with you.




Comments

Popular Posts