I promise too...: Deuteronomy 27

I walked by the pet store window. I was stopped by a little black nose, big black eyes and floppy ears. On display looking out at the world were 4 baby bunnies. I was 14 years old. The bunnies were $7.
each. I had $10. I walked in purchased the bundle of sweetness and some rabbit food. Then I proceeded to hop on the buss holding my precious purchase and go home. My parents were less than pleased with my spontaneous choice, but my dad built a hutch in the backyard and helped me set up "Thumpers" little home. I was happy. I was warned of the feeding, cleaning, and attention the pet would require...all I could see was what my baby bunny. I joyfully agreed to all the terms. As the weeks went by and the cage smelled, the food cost money and my bunny became a rabbit my feelings changed. He kicked and scratched when I held him, and he didn't do any tricks. This wasn't much fun. Eventually my bunny found a new home.
Israel was crossing the Jordan and finally getting the land of promise, but they had some chores to do. They were warned what it would cost to be God's people and receive His blessing. The price was obedience. They saw themselves living in the land, being blessed and loving life as the chosen people of God. The warnings went unheeded as they promised to do everything God asked.
Isn't this how we all are. We make easy promises when we want something. When it comes time to paying the price, and the fun has worn off, we don't want to pay.
The price of our salvation has been paid, but following Jesus does have a cost. Repentance means leaving the old life behind. Following Christ is not a popular choice. Others may walk away or persecute us. Are we willing to follow no matter the cost? Will we continue to follow when it gets tough?

Dig Deeper:

  • Israel is given a command to build a monument to the laws of God with specific instructions
  • They are to go through a ritual calling out commands and curses
  • They respond to each command with an AMEN, showing they agree

Read Deuteronomy 27.


Comments

Popular Posts