The Battle is Real: Joshua Chapter 4

The battle is real, the floor is cold, and the temptation to give up is constant. As I whined out my complaints to an older woman one day she looked at my with kind understanding eyes and  answered with the wisdom that comes only through experience in the battle of life: "sin, dust and calories, will be my battle till the day I die".
I understood.
There will never come a day on while I live on earth that I can spiritually take a vacation. Even if I lay in a hammock all day, my mind can be in a raging battle against sin. Thoughts can be just as hateful and evil as any spoken word or physical act.

As I read Joshua chapter 4 and pictured that Israel making camp in Gilgal with Jericho in sight, knowing that an epic battle was in their near future. My mind went to Ephesians 6.
Israel was preparing for a physical battle, however they had spiritual battles going on as well.


How do I prepare for the daily spiritual battle I face in my life?


Israel could choose to fear or trust.....so can I?

Israel could look at Jericho and try to do things in their own strength or choose to follow God's instructions.....so can I?

Israel had Joshua to lead, they could listen to him as God appointed leader or to the world around them as they prepare for battle.........I have the same choice,the Spirit of truth or the world.

God told them to set up reminders of the miracles he had done, so their children would trust as well.......I can do that?

God said He would go before them, but they still needed to prepare for battle.......So do I, every day! The battle between the Spirit that lives in me and my flesh will rage until I leave this earth for my eternal home.

Galatians tells us "If we walk with the Spirit we will not carry out the desires of the flesh"


Ephesians lays out the plan for our daily "battle walk" with the Spirit:
  • Know God's word and use it as weapon against lies and schemes
  • Know the truth of who I am in Christ and stand firm in it
  • Live in the peace I have in the Holy Spirit
  • Hold to faith firmly,
  • Remember always that I have the hope of eternity grounded in the work of Jesus Christ.
It's not by my works that the battle will be won. Jesus Christ has gone before me, just as Yahweh went before Israel. I need only stand firm in obedience, ready to fight.

The battle is the Lords!! The victory is His!

Ephesians 6:10-18New International Version (NIV)

The Armor of God

10 Finally, be strong in the Lord and in his mighty power. 11 Put on the full armor of God, so that you can take your stand against the devil’s schemes. 12 For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms. 13 Therefore put on the full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground, and after you have done everything, to stand. 14 Stand firm then, with the belt of truth buckled around your waist, with the breastplate of righteousness in place, 15 and with your feet fitted with the readiness that comes from the gospel of peace. 16 In addition to all this, take up the shield of faith, with which you can extinguish all the flaming arrows of the evil one. 17 Take the helmet of salvation and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God.
18 And pray in the Spirit on all occasions with all kinds of prayers and requests. With this in mind, be alert and always keep on praying for all the Lord’s people.

Hope Wirta


READ JOSHUA 4


https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Joshua+4&version=NIV


Comments

Popular Posts