What if you knew?....: Joshua 10

As I maneuvered the puzzle of dishes in the dishwasher, the voices of the neighborhood children drifted in through the window. I had to stop and smile, thinking to myself "some things never change".
You have the power to freeze and super strength but you don't have super speed. I have super speed and I can be invisible. Can I be the good guy in the volcano? Ya, you stand on the slide, but don't step in the hot lava!! OK, you come save me. The bad guy put me there, but he doesn't have super speed so you will get there first. If you run fast the lava won't burn your feet and you can get me out. The bad guy can freeze the lava and walk on it, but he's slower than you.
Kids have an incredible gift for creating the best games. They can play like this for hours on end, creating a world of super powers, and, good and evil.. As adults we relive these days in stories like Lord of Rings, Star Wars and a plethora of Super Heroes.

What if you knew for a fact you could walk into a battle and not be harmed.


How would you live if there was no doubt you were "untouchable". This is the kind of faith that God wishes for all of us. We are often reminded in life that our bodies are perishable. Sickness and death lurk on the edges of our minds, creating fear. We are called to stand as God's chosen people in a world that is dying. God knows our fears, and commands us to place our trust in the unshakeable hope He has set before us. Our souls once in his hand are sealed by power of the Holy Spirit, with a super power that cannot be overcome, even by the most evil villain.

we who have fled to take hold of the hope set before us may be greatly encouraged. 19 We have this hope as an anchor for the soul,  Hebrews 6:18b,19


In Joshua 10 God commands Joshua: Don't be afraid. You are untouchable!! Even with 5 kings coming at you, I am handing them over to you. With an unshakeable faith Joshua leads the Israelites on a campaign defeating most of the southern region of the Promised land. God leads Joshua, hurling hail stones from the sky at the enemy, as Joshua leads Israel in victory.
His belief that God is with Him so saturates his being that without flinching he commands the sun and moon to stop rotating. God honors his faith, and they halt their orbit for half a day.

Do not be afraid of those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather, be afraid of the One who can destroy both soul and body in hell. Matthew 10:28a
Joshua understood this well!

DIG DEEPER:

https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Joshua+10&version=NET

Psalm 85
Hear my prayer, Lord;
    listen to my cry for mercy.
When I am in distress, I call to you,
    because you answer me.
Among the gods there is none like you, Lord;
    no deeds can compare with yours.
All the nations you have made
    will come and worship before you, Lord;
    they will bring glory to your name.
10 For you are great and do marvelous deeds;
    you alone are God.
11 Teach me your way, Lord,
    that I may rely on your faithfulness;
give me an undivided heart,
    that I may fear your name.

Comments

Popular Posts