1 Samuel 15: Motives Matter

Motives Matter:


1 Samuel 15

I had a difficult time with this weeks study. Some passages hit home a little more than others. This was one of them.

On a normal week I read through the scripture write notes and check reference books, highlighting and jotting interesting facts as I go. I  reflect on people, meanings and how this passage helps me know God more.

 This week however I walked straight into a brick wall of conviction. It took a full day of prayer, reflection and the truth of grace to bring me back to my keyboard.

In Summary.

 Saul is given a chance to redeem himself after his previous bad choices.
Remember, in previous chapters Saul has shown himself to be disobedient, ungrateful of his call and prideful. God is not feeling good about keeping him in his position as King of Israel. This chapter opens with Samuel giving Saul a clear command from God. He is to attack and completely get rid of the Amalekites. The Amalekites are not only idol worshippers, but they have been a persistent enemy of Israel, from the days they left Egypt to now. The army is not to take any spoil from this victory. Saul attacks, defeats the enemy and promptly disobeys God's order. After "his" victory he proceeds to put up a monument to himself for the victory (vs. an alter to reflect A GRATEFUL HEART to God).The men keep spoil and the King of the Amalekites is kept alive in direct contrast to God's command.
Saul appears to have no remorse, fear or respect for Gods commands when confronted with his disobedience.
Samuel confronts Saul on his sin of rebellion against God. Saul justifies his decision and passes the blame. He tells Samuel that he only kept the good animals as spoils of war so that he could make sacrifices to God, so its okay, right? OUCH!

 

How often have a reasoned away my actions, when in my heart I know what God wants? How many times have I ignored the prompting of the Holy Spirit? OUCH AGAIN!


Then just like Saul I decide that I should probably say "I'm sorry".


Samuels response to Saul "God wants obedience, not sacrifice", is the hardest for me to hear.

How often have I regarded my redemption as a birthright?

How often have I used God's grace as an excuse for my wrong attitudes and actions.


In the end God reject Saul as leader and Samuel grieves. Saul is left alone

 

I know that God will not leave me alone.


I KNOW that the blood of Jesus has washed me clean I don't know if Saul was repentant. I can only know my own heart.

Motives matter,

and this passage was a great reminder of
what Christ has done for me. A grateful heart changes my perspective and hopefully my actions.

Hope Wirta

Comments

Popular Posts