2 Samuel 16: The Bible Blog

2 Samuel 16 

I was driving along in my brand new, red car; well, at least new to me. The sun was warm on my shoulders, which in Oregon is a rare experience.  I felt like I was in a movie scene. The movie star is cruising down the road on the perfect day, wind blowing her hair;  life was good, family good, job good, everything was, well, good, except my attention to the stop sign on the corner.

Before I knew what was happening, sound was exploding all around me, glass fling, and the world spinning  as the car whirled from the impact of the car that had hit us in the intersection.  Once the motion settled, I sat stunned trying to make sense of, WHAT JUST HAPPENED?

 In the end everyone was safe, and you can imagine, I watched the road signs much more carefully going forward.

I wonder if King David felt this way.

In 2 Samuel 16 as stones are being hurled in his direction, his son is shaming him on his palace roof. He is having stones thrown at him as he is walking away from His beloved Jerusalem. Not long before this he had been dancing toward the city as the conquering King; WHAT JUST HAPPENED?  As he cruised along life as the new King, he missed a few important road signs along the way. Usually based on an emotional decision made on impulse (see 16:3 and 19:24-26)  David had a good heart and in the end his faith in God stays firmly in place. Along the road, however, emotions and impulsiveness caused him to miss a stop sign or two.


Hope Wirta

Click and Read 2 Samuel 16

Comments

Popular Posts