Matthew 1:The Bible Blog

Matthew 1: The Bible Blog

My sister in law spends hours researching the genealogy of her family. She has hundreds of digital images that loop on a framed slideshow in her dining room. Whenever we visit my husband finds himself mesmerized by the people from his past. Her research has turned up some pretty interesting characters and stories that help shed light on the questions "Why do I look, speak, act, the way I do?"
As people it is important for us to know, where we came from? It helps us make sense of we we are?
We as people are all so unique, however among family, we find the familiar, comfortable traits that make us feel less alone in the world. Some of us have a lot of pride in our family history, while other family traits may irritate us, rub us the wrong way or even bring us shame. Either way it was the launching pad for our lives. Whether we live up to, or struggle to change, it gives us a place to start.
God carefully chose the place, the mother, step father and time that Jesus would come into the world he created in human form. In that moment he gave us hope by fulfilling every prophecy so that we might believe.

John 20:31

but these have been written so that you may believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God; and that believing you may have life in his name. But these are written, that you might believe that Jesus is the Christ, the son of God; and that believing you might have life through His name.


Read Matthew 1:

Matthew was writing the book to show the Jew (and us) that Jesus is indeed the Son of God, the long awaited Messiah, promised to save people from sin.

Matthew 1

Other passages that relate to Matthew 1:

Genesis 12:3 I will bless those who bless you, and whoever curses you I will curse; and all peoples on earth will be blessed through you."

Isaiah 53

Jeremiah 31:31-34;
31 “Behold, the days are coming, says the Lord, when I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel and with the house of Judah—32 not according to the covenant that I made with their fathers in the day that I took them by the hand to lead them out of the land of Egypt, My covenant which they broke, though I was a husband to them, says the Lord. 33 But this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, says the Lord: I will put My law in their minds, and write it on their hearts; and I will be their God, and they shall be My people. 34 No more shall every man teach his neighbor, and every man his brother, saying, ‘Know the Lord,’ for they all shall know Me, from the least of them to the greatest of them, says the Lord. For I will forgive their iniquity, and their sin I will remember no more.”
 Ezekiel 36:24-31


24 For I will take you from among the nations, gather you out of all countries, and bring you into your own land. 25 Then I will sprinkle clean water on you, and you shall be clean; I will cleanse you from all your filthiness and from all your idols. 26 I will give you a new heart and put a new spirit within you; I will take the heart of stone out of your flesh and give you a heart of flesh. 27 I will put My Spirit within you and cause you to walk in My statutes, and you will keep My judgments and do them. 28 Then you shall dwell in the land that I gave to your fathers; you shall be My people, and I will be your God. 29 I will deliver you from all your uncleannesses. I will call for the grain and multiply it, and bring no famine upon you. 30 And I will multiply the fruit of your trees and the increase of your fields, so that you need never again bear the reproach of famine among the nations. 31 Then you will remember your evil ways and your deeds that were not good; and you will loathe yourselves in your own sight, for your iniquities and your abominations.

Comments

Popular Posts