The Daily Bible Blog: 2 Samuel 6

2 Samuel 6: The Daily Bible Blog

What Happened:

David goes to retrieve the Ark of God and bring it to the City of David (Exodus 25:10-22). He had placed the Ark on a cart instead of using the poles that God had designed for the Ark to be transported on. The Ark was suppose to be carried. When the Ark became unstable, one of the men casually reaches out to steady it. This is a violation of God's law (it is considered irreverent, and expressly not allowed to touch the Ark). The man immediately drops dead.His action was an improper attitude toward the holiness of God. God had put many laws in place to teach the Israelites that one should have a healthy fear when drawing near to God.  David berates himself for being so careless and is afraid to move the Ark further.

David shows that he got the message in the next few verses. In what I consider an act of selfishness, he takes the Ark of God to a nearby house to see what will happen, it's a bit of a test. When the man's house is blessed by God he decides it is safe to bring the Ark to the City of David.

David dances, music plays and they rejoice as the Ark enters the city and is placed in a temporary home that David has created for it. Michal (daughter of Saul) despises David as she watches him dance in what she considers a common and undignified manner. She and David have heated words about her attitude, and she loses favor with David. She never has any children.

My Prayer:


Father,

I don't want to ever lose sight of the fact that you are a Holy God. I am made right with you because Jesus took my sins on himself. There is nothing I can do, on my own, to make myself worthy of being in your presence. Thank you for the love and sacrifice you gave to make a way for me to be with you.
When I worship you, remind me to only think of you, and not to worry what people around me might be thinking.

Amen

Read 2 Samuel 6:


https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=2+Samuel+6&version=NIV


David's Song to the Lord at the Dedication of the Temple.

Psalm 30 New International Version (NIV)


Psalm 30[a]

A psalm. A song. For the dedication of the temple.[b] Of David.

I will exalt you, Lord,
    for you lifted me out of the depths
    and did not let my enemies gloat over me.
Lord my God, I called to you for help,
    and you healed me.
You, Lord, brought me up from the realm of the dead;
    you spared me from going down to the pit.

Sing the praises of the Lord, you his faithful people;
    praise his holy name.
For his anger lasts only a moment,
    but his favor lasts a lifetime;
weeping may stay for the night,
    but rejoicing comes in the morning.

When I felt secure, I said,
    “I will never be shaken.”
Lord, when you favored me,
    you made my royal mountain[c] stand firm;
but when you hid your face,
    I was dismayed.

To you, Lord, I called;
    to the Lord I cried for mercy:
“What is gained if I am silenced,
    if I go down to the pit?
Will the dust praise you?
    Will it proclaim your faithfulness?
10 Hear, Lord, and be merciful to me;
    Lord, be my help.

11 You turned my wailing into dancing;
    you removed my sackcloth and clothed me with joy,
12 that my heart may sing your praises and not be silent.
    Lord my God, I will praise you forever.
Other applicable verses to consider:

Hebrews 12:28 - Wherefore we receiving a kingdom which cannot be moved, let us have grace, whereby we may serve God acceptably with reverence and godly fear:

Exodus 3:5 - And he said, Draw not nigh hither: put off thy shoes from off thy feet, for the place whereon thou standest [is] holy ground.

1 Samuel 12:24 - Only fear the LORD, and serve him in truth with all your heart: for consider how great [things] he hath done for you.

Comments

Popular Posts